Dolly and Paul Bolton Scholarship
Along with Charles E. Green and Everett Looney, Paul Bolton founded the Headliners Club in 1954. From the very beginning of the Club, journalism and scholarships were given and the funds came from members dues — until 1983, when the Foundation was started. Since the Journalism Awards were named after Charles E. Green, the Board of the Foundation wanted to honor Paul Bolton with a named scholarship to both honor him and his long career as a journalist.
A native Oklahoman, Bolton attended the University of Oklahoma, where he was a member of Sigma Delta Chi (journalism fraternity). Later, after he graduated from the University of Missouri, he was hired by the Associated Press. After working for the AP in several mid-western states, Bolton was transferred to Dallas and finally, to Austin, where he was bureau chief.
In 1930, Bolton left the AP to become the first press agent in state government, working for the Texas Agricultural Commissioner. He also assisted with the launch of Governor James Allred’s campaign for office.
In the mid-1940s, Bolton headed the International News Service office and the State Observer. In 1944, Lyndon Johnson persuaded Bolton to join KTBC radio (now KLBJ) as its news editor. The following year, Bolton covered the United Nations organizational meeting in San Francisco for KTBC, Harte-Hanks newspapers and The Dallas Times Herald.
Taking a leave of absence from KTBC, Bolton became a speech writer and reporter covering Johnson’s Vice Presidential campaign. Afterwards, he returned to KTBC, where he ultimately became director of the news staff for both the radio and newly created television station.
Bolton was married to Dorothy (Dolly) Bolton who was also a journalist and prominent local environmentalist.